A lot of companies are being contacted directly by Google AdWords and Facebook Advertising representatives. These account managers / sales representatives are working directly at these huge companies and offering to help you free of charge. So why and when should you choose to work with them directly and why should you choose an agency to partner with?
First off there are of course a few advantages of working directly with Facebook and Google AdWords representatives. The first thing is that they can help you get started and help you understand their advertising platforms without having to spend any money on education. These sales representatives can usually help you get somewhat educated and get started with your advertising.
What support can I get from Facebook and Google Account managers?
- Help you get started. These account managers can truly help you get started and enhance your knowledge within digital marketing. By understanding more about how these digital advertising platforms work you will be less likely to make mistakes that will cost you money.
- Review your accounts. They can help you review your accounts and give you recommendations on any obvious problems in the accounts.
- Account manager. If you are spending a lot of money, they will probably give you a personal account manager who you can turn to in times of trouble.
However while it can seem enthralling to be offered help free of charge by Google & Facebook Account managers employees there are a few common pitfalls and reasons to be cautious.
3 Important reasons to be cautious
- They exist to boost their own sales. Yup, that’s why I refer to them as “sales representatives”. It’s important to remember that they are sales people and that they have sales goals. They do have an agenda while helping you. To make you spend more money on Google & Facebook. The usual recommendations from these people usually end up in you spending more money while only in some cases making your accounts more profitable.
- The more they earn on you, the more help will arrive to recommend you spend more. If you are a really small advertiser the help can be really good. They will help you get started, but nothing more.
- They do now get to understand your business. The support is always limited, they will help you to understand their platforms but do not understand your complete marketing strategy which is a reason to stay cautious. For example if you are currently doing TV Advertising, it’s really important to integrate these campaigns with your digital advertising. These sales reps. do of course have a “tunnel vision” in their own product.
4 Reasons to choose an agency / Google Partner
- Small agencies get personal. Smaller agencies tend to get really close and personal with their clients, in a good way. This means that your success is equal to the agency’s success. I never recommend to just “spend more”, but after research do so in case you can earn more & stay profitable.
- Agencies get involved. Agencies tend to get more involved in your business. Spending more time with you and truly understanding your core business will result in a better performance.
- Agencies get better deals. Agencies are in direct contact with the mentioned companies, fighting to get the best tailored deals for their clients. Agencies actually do get unique benefits from Google & Facebook, and are therefore able to give better deals (lower CPC / CPM) & fresh product updates for their clients, in some cases.
- A Broader Perspective. A Google Partner agency is an expert in Google’s advertising products (often more so than the actual employees at Google). But we are not limited nor’ do we want to be limited and dependant on Google as a channel. That would be the classic “putting all eggs in one basket” scenario. An agency can often help you to look at marketing from a more holistic business perspective. In the end, your business succeeding is the main goal, not the individual performance of a channel.
If you are small business owner
If you are small business owner and have a limited marketing budget it can be tough to find an agency because of the cost. Agencies do cost and if you have a really small budget an agency’s rate can often eat your margins. On the other hand if you have limited of resources it will not be profitable to use your time managing the digital marketing account when you have a core business to run. Usually it’s still smarter & cheaper to hire an agency or a digital marketing consultant to help you out rather than to hire a full-time employee to manage this. It can be a good start to get help from the Google & Facebook Account Managers so you can sometimes manage the accounts on your own and they can help you understand how the systems work. If you remember the 3 reasons to stay cautious you’ll be fine.
If you are big company with resources
Usually big companies have both in-house employees working on their digital marketing + they have lot’s of different agencies helping them out. This is where agencies can help you seize your full potential. Sometimes optimising your account by less than 0.1% can mean millions in more profits. Agencies are usually cheaper to hire compared to hiring full-time in-house staff. Agencies will (should) also look at your business from a holistic business perspective independent from a single channel. In this way when an agency truly understands your business, advises you in the digital landscape and integrates your offline & online efforts, the most results are seen.
“In the end, your business succeeding is the main goal, not the individual performance of a channel.”
DATA-DRIVEN DIGITAL STRATEGIST & MARKETER
CEO & Founder of Bevace Digital Agency, Digital Specialist at Keybroker & Hyper Island Alumni